Nothing can bring people together and create smiles like delicious homemade birthday chocolate cupcakes. It is a must have at every party, celebration, get together, and especially for a birthday party! The following chocolate cupcake recipe is both moist, filling and easy to prepare with most of the ingredients probably already available in your kitchen or pantry.
Homemade Chocolate Cupcakes
Makes approximately 20 cupcakes.
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flower
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ cup of milk
- 1/8 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 5 tablespoons of butter, softened
- 1 ¾ cups of white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon of baking soda
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line your cupcake pan with paper or tinfoil or paper liners.
- Gather two large bowls for mixing as well as your measuring spoons.
- In one large mixing bowl, mix together the baking powder, baking soda, flour, salt and cocoa. Set it aside for the moment.
- In another large mixing bowl, mix together butter and sugar until fluffy. Then you will add the vanilla, eggs and milk, mix well.
- Next add your dry mixture to your wet mixture, mixing until a nice consistency with no lumps.
- Fill your cupcake liners about ¾ of the way full. Bake for 15 minutes, you can use the tooth pick test to check to see if your cupcakes are done. This is done by putting tooth pick in cupcake and if it comes out clean (no cake on toothpick) it is done.
- Set aside to cool and frost.
Chocolate cupcakes are an amazing treat for any occasion. They can topped with many types of frosting flavors. Yet the most delicious way to frost a chocolate cupcake is with yummy chocolate frosting, making it a double chocolate burst of flavor! The following chocolate frosting recipe is tasty and easy to prepare resulting in a fluffy texture.
Homemade Chocolate Frosting
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- ½ cup of butter
- ½ cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup of milk
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together sugar and unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Add butter, vanilla and then gradually add milk while stirring until free of clumps with a fluffy texture.
- Set aside until ready to frost.
Decorating the Cupcakes for a 50th Birthday Celebration
Celebrating half a century of a persons life with chocolate cupcakes is a great way to bring back childhood memories and birthday celebrations from years past. Fifty years is one of the most important birthday ages to celebrate.
Many agree that the traditional color for a fiftieth birthday is gold and this can be shown with the decorating of your cupcakes. Adding in chocolate gold flakes to the top or gold colored candles will help bring a little color and fun to your cupcakes. You can find many edible gold colored toppings to add to your cupcakes from golden sugar that you can sprinkle over each cupcake once frosted, to edible golden balls to give your cupcake an elegant look.
Fruits are always a huge hit with chocolate and you can never go wrong with adding it to make the final touch to a chocolate frosting topped, chocolate cupcake. Some suggestions would be a tasty cherry, a sweet strawberry or delicious raspberries. Candy is also a huge favorite and the possibilities with candy are endless. Many choose to go with cutting up candy bars and making snickers or butter finger toppings to go on their chocolate cupcakes. It’s always important to keep the guest of honors favorite flavors in mind when adding toppings to the cupcakes.
Another idea to give your cupcakes a personalized touch that will connect emotionally with your birthday guests is to take a walk down memory lane. Use a tooth pick and some glue to add a photo topping of your guest of honors past. Pick many different photos that show their milestones throughout the years starting with a photo of them at a young age if possible. Using a hot glue gun, place a few dots on the top of a tooth pick and apply it to the back of the photo. Once dried, place tooth pick gently in to the top of cupcake being careful to not get the photo in the frosting. Place them in order from earliest moments to the most recent on table top so that everyone can take a walk down memory lane with your loved one.
There are many ways to celebrate fifty years of wonderful memories. Either way that you choose you can’t go wrong with this delicious chocolate cupcake recipe.